Texas-based restaurant chain Pasha Mediterranean Grill is facing a lawsuit over a food poisoning outbreak linked to its location in San Antonio.

The San Antonio Metropolitan Health Department reported that more than 300 cases related to illnesses were linked to the restaurant, with almost a dozen victims hospitalised.

National food safety law firm Ron Simon & Associates has filed the class action against the restaurant chain in Bexar County on behalf of victim Samuel Manago.

Manago consumed a beef shawarma plate at Pasha Mediterranean Grill on 31 August and was hospitalised for several days. He is currently undergoing medical treatment.

“We will find out how Pasha Mediterranean Grill failed and make sure that the restaurant does not harm others in the future.”

Ron Simon & Associates lead attorney Ron Simon said: “It is very unfortunate that hundreds of San Antonio residents have become ill from what should have been a completely preventable food safety failure.

“Through this lawsuit and many others, we will find out how Pasha Mediterranean Grill failed and make sure that the restaurant does not harm others in the future.”

Health inspectors conducted an inspection at the restaurant on 3 September and found that at least two employees had been sick with fever and diarrhoea. The food was not being held at proper temperatures to prevent bacterial growth.

They also identified that food handlers wore the same gloves without changing them or not washing their hands between tasks.

In another inspection, authorities identified that the restaurant had not employed people with supervisory responsibility to direct and control food preparation. There is also no designated hand-washing sink and there are no signs displayed in restrooms to remind employees to wash their hands.