The winners of the school meals industry Awards for Excellence were announced last night when the Lead Association for CAtering in Education (LACA) held its Gala Awards Dinner during it’s major conference and exhibition known as The Main Event.
The big winner on the night at the Birmingham Hilton Metropole was Havering Education Service (HES), which won the Education Catering Marketing Award and the Primary School Catering Team of the Year, as well as being a top three nominee in the Catering Business of the Year category, which was won by Juniper Ventures led by Michael Hales, LACA’s chair-elect.
There were a total of 13 awards made, and the Chair Tim Blowers’ nominated charity British Heart Foundation benefited from more than £7,000 collected on the night thanks to the raffle that was held.
The full list of winners:
1. Apprentice/Trainee of the Year sponsored by Pasta King – Stephen Tomlinson, Absolutely Catering
2. Catering Business of the Year sponsored by Hobart – Juniper Ventures
3. Primary School Catering Team of the Year sponsored by McCain Foodservice – Broadford Primary School (HES Catering Services)
4. Secondary Catering Team of the Year sponsored by Bidfood -Park Community School, Hampshire County Council
5. Education Catering Marketing Award sponsored by Elygra Marketing – HES Catering Services
6. Nan Berger Memorial Award sponsored by Nationwide – Manchester Fayre
7. Roger Davis Outstanding Achievement Award sponsored by ParentPay – Brad Pearce, CATERed
8. Unsung Hero Award sponsored by YPO – Rose Rawcliffe, Morecambe Bay County Primary School
9. Self-Delivered/In-House Catering Operation sponsored by Young’s Foodservice – Hillstone Primary School
10. LACA Region of the Year sponsored by Dr Oetker – Yorkshire & Humberside
11. LACA Supplier of the Year – Pasta King
12. LACA Special Contribution Award – Jan Johnson
13. LACA Chair’s Award – Karen Robinson